Seeking Answers To A Key Question About The Deep Structure Of The Universe
Can our entire universe be meaningfully
encapsulated within just over 200
base-2 exponential notations?
In December 2011 two teachers and about 80 high school students rather naïvely began to explore a geometric progression that went down in size to the Planck Length then reversed to go back up all the way to the Observable Universe (most links open a tab or window and go to an in-depth Wikipedia page).
Their chart is pictured on the left. It measures 60×11 inches. It is a view of the entire universe and has just over 200 base-2 exponential notations (dividing or multiplying by 2, over and over again). Thinking that this simple math was already part of academic work, their two-year search could not find any references to base-2 and the Planck Length.* In the first year, asking around locally and then globally, many people were quite puzzled and asked, “Why haven’t we seen a base-2 scale of the universe before now?”
An Integrated Universe View
Dubbed Big Board – little universe, this project started as a curiosity; today, it is an on-going study to analyze and develop the logic and potential links from their simple mathematics to all the current mathematics that define the universe, all its parts, everything from everywhere, and from the beginning of time to this very moment in time. The hope is that there is a simple logic and there are simple links. Their standing invitation is, Open To Everyone, to come and help. This chart follows the progressions from the smallest to the largest possible measurement of a length. Other charts engage the other Planck base units. With more questions than answers, this group is trying to grasp the logic flows in light of current academic-scientific research. They’re making a little progress.
Yes, on December 19, 2011 the geometry classes in a New Orleans high school were introduced to the chart on the left. The purpose of all their charts is to follow the Planck base units to each maximum value (Planck Length to the Observable Universe and Planck Time to the Age of the Universe). In April 2016 work began on a large horizontally-scrolled chart of all that data which encourages key questions about the big bang theory, especially the first four epochs, the Planck Epoch, the Grand Unification Epoch, the Inflationary Epoch, and the Electroweak Epoch. Is it the best possible model?
They ask, “Where are the informed critics to tell us where we are going wrong?” One rather brilliant, young physicist told them that the concept for this project is idiosyncratic. They quickly learned how right he was. Nobel laureates and scholars of the highest caliber were asked, “What is wrong with our picture? Where is our fallacy of misplaced concreteness?” Slowly analyzing the logic and developing their thoughts as web postings, the group plods along. At some point somebody should say, “That’s wrong” and be able to tell them in what ways they have failed logically or mathematically.
If they are not wrong, the extension of basic logic could begin to yield unusual results. For example, the Big Bang theory could get a special addendum, the first 67 notations. That would make it simple, symmetric (entirely-related), predictive, and totally other. The entire universe could get an infrastructure of geometries whereby many issues in physics, chemistry and biology could be redressed. The finite-infinite relation is opened for new inquiries. This model of the universe is derivative of quantitative qualities of infinity, continuity and symmetry. Those relations appear to have an inherent qualitative or value structure. If so, ethics and the studies of the Mind (the discernment of qualities) just might, for the first time in history, become part of a scientific-mathematical continuum. A trifurcated definition of the individual may emerge whereby people are simultaneously within the small scale, human scale, and large scale universe. Of course, we’ll have to embrace a different sense of the nature of space and time. Perhaps we might begin to understand what it means that space and time are derivative. Surely, that is enough; yet there will always be more. Along the way, there are the many working postings that have been written since those first classes and each needs constant updating. Many can be found through the top navigation bar option, INDEX.
Notes, lesson plans and posts (and all new posts) are being consolidated and linked from this homepage. Now called, The Big Board – little universe Project, it is a Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics (STEM) application. Secondary schools from around the world will be invited to join this exploration.
The earliest postings and blogs were done by Bruce Camber within a section of his website — SmallBusinessSchool.org. That site supports a television series, Small Business School, that he and his wife, Hattie Bryant, started. It aired for 50 seasons on most PBS-TV stations throughout the USA and on thousands around the world via the Voice of America-TV affiliates.
Over the years articles and blogs have been posted on WordPress, LinkedIn, Blogger, and Facebook (often links open in new windows). An April 2012 article, formatted for and displayed within Wikipedia for a few weeks, was deleted on May 2, 2012 as “original research” by highly-specialized Wikipedia editors. Only then did this little group of teachers and students finally begin to believe that base-2 notation had not already been applied to the Planck base units. And, as they have grown in their analyses, it has become increasingly clear that this area of simple math and simple logic is a new area for exploration and that notations 1-to-67 may be a key to unlock a new understanding of the nature of physical reality.
The current biggest challenge is to study the logic flows within their many charts based on the Planck base units, both up and down and across, and to build on current questions, “Is this logic simple and consistent? What does it imply about the nature of the universe?”
So, even now, there is much more to come. At the end of the year, 2015, a Lettermanesque Top Ten was added. In January 2016 an article, Constructing the Universe from Scratch, emerged. In April 2016 a horizontally-scrolled chart provided a better sense of the flow. Still a “rough draft” this project has a long way to go! Bruce Camber says, “Help! Please let us know where we are going wrong! Thanks.”
* Footnote: In 1957 Kees Boeke did a very limited base-10 progression of just 40 steps. It became quite popular. In July 2014, physicists, Gerard ‘t Hooft and Stefan Vandoren wrote a scholarly update using base-10. Notwithstanding, base-2 is 3.3333+ times more granular than base-10 plus it mimics cellular reproduction and other naturally bifurcating processes in physics, chemistry, biology, topology, botany, architecture; it has a geometry; it has the Planck base units, and it has a simple logic and so much more.
Articles will be integrated, edited and organized by topic, title, and timeline:
- 2011 (December) Big Board – little universe
- 2012 (September) Analysis: Planck Length and Planck Time
- 2015 (August) Analysis: A Simple View of the Universe
- 2015 (September) Analysis of the Chart of the Five Planck Base Units:
What logic/rationale justify this simple model and continued research of it?
- 67 Notations of the Small-Scale Universe: Are these among key missing links that have within them answers to historic questions?
- Analysis (September 2012)
- Architecture for Integrative Systems: 1979 Display Project at MIT
- Architecture for Integrative Systems: The Scholars
- Belief Systems: Just what are we to believe about anything?
- Chart of the Five Planck Base Units: From the 202nd notation down to 1.
- Charts (lists): Current Project (horizontally-scrolled and in process)
- Chaos-and-order and Order-and-Chaos: Non-repeating, never ending numbers
- Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Cosmology and the Large-scale universe (November 2015)
- Ethics: Where is the Good in Science, Business, and Religion?
- Fifteen Key Questions: About the Universe and Us
- Finite & Infinite and a Sequel
- Flooding the Big Bang Theory
- Freeman Dyson: Guiding Light
- Help. Participate. Initiate.
- Historical Sketch: A Secret Door To A New Universe Of Knowledge
- History: What Did We Ever Do Without Our Universe View?
- NASA scientist’s report regarding his calculations for us on May 14, 2012
- Notations 80 down to 66
- Numbers: On Constructing the Universe From Scratch
- Order In The Universe: Continuity and Symmetry
- Paradigms, foundations, first principles, universals and constants
- Pi: 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028…
- Planck Length to the Observable Universe
- Planck Time to the Age of the Universe
- Quiet Expansion: Do the dynamics deflate the big bang theory?
- Quiet Expansion Challenges the Big Bang (June 2016)
- Quiet Expansion overview
- Space and Time: If finite, quantized and derivative, what are they?
- Speed of Light NOT Yet Confirmed With Planck Units and Base-2 Notation
- Student’s Science Fair Project
- Summary (January 2012: The very first overview of this work
- Tetrahedrons & Octahedrons
- Tiling and Tessellating the Universe: A Great Chain of Being
- Top Ten Reasons for The Big Board – little universe Project
- Two shoes: A review of where we are in July 2016
- Universe Table and Universe View: The Human Scale
- Values: Introductory Chart for Natural Values (June 2014)
- Working Today: Horizontal scrolling 1-201 & Quiet Expansion
- Wrong: There is a possibility
- 2012 Wikipedia Article: Accepted And Then Rejected
If you would like to contribute content to this site, please contact Bruce Camber
at camber – (at) – bblu.org or click here for more contact information. Thank you.